The Leader of the Opposition is a position generally filled by the leader of the party that comes second in an election, and he or she officially shadows the Office of the Prime Minister. The Leader of the Opposition has the right to ask the Prime Minister six questions a week in the House of Commons, and is also by default the shadow minister for all government departments, although it usual to grant shadow ministerial positions to other party members. The Leader of the Opposition is also able to call a Vote of No Confidence in the government if strength, popularity or trust go below 30%.
In recent Ostentian history, the position has been in decline. The results of the April 2008 Election and the May 2008 Election both created situations in which there was no clear party of opposition. Because of this, the duties of the role have been divided between party leaders, to such an extent that the position now holds very few advantages. However, with the recent introduction of a new electoral system, it is expected that the position of Leader of the Opposition will soon be restored to its former glory.
Democratian Leaders of the OppositionEdit
In Democratia the position of Leader of the Opposition was filled as follows:
- 22/08/1992 - 22/09/1992: Sharky
- 23/09/1992 - 29/09/1992: Boohistory
- 03/10/1992 - 27/10/1992: Pokemaniac John
- 27/10/1992 - 27/11/1992: HRH King Charles III
- 30/11/1992 - 10/02/1993: Eriatarka1
- 11/02/1993 - 10/03/1993: Master dingley
- 11/03/1993 - 22/05/1993: Boohistory
- 23/05/1993 - 22/06/1993: Miniyoda008
- 23/06/1993 - 25/07/1993: Pokemaniac John
Ostentian Leaders of the OppositionEdit
In Ostentia the role of Leader of the Opposition was filled as follows:
- 08/09/2007 - 07/10/2007: Pokemaniac John
- 07/10/2007 - 04/11/2007: Cieran
- 04/11/2007 - 06/12/2007: Inevitable
- 09/12/2007 - 20/02/2008: Pokemaniac John (official title was Opposition Leader)
- 20/02/2008 - 21/03/2008: Inevitable
- 21/03/2008 - 16/04/2008: Pokemaniac John (official title was Opposition Leader)
- 16/04/2008 - 11/05/2008: Pokemaniac John and Inevitable (although neither was officially styled "Leader of the Opposition")
- 11/05/2008 - 03/06/2008: Pokemaniac John, Lewis and Master dingley were all Leaders of the Opposition
- 07/06/2008 - 14/06/2008: Pokemaniac John, first election using run-off to allow a clear winner and opposition leader. Parliament dissolved after a week.